Wednesday, October 7, 2020

En route to Veganism!

 I read and watched so many articles,documentaries till the date of veganism. I was getting a good view of the reality yet the environment I was living in did not have supporting conditions for me to get vegan, neither did I have any motive to go vegan. 

But one day my husband suddenly decided that we should go vegan for all the issues that are involving animal cruelty and environmental impact. 

I did want to do this to help my health as well, I was a total cheesoholic my entire life even when I knew each bite I would take was contributing to building cough into my system. I couldn't give up my cravings even when I knew it was hurting me. 

Anyways I never really liked or fare better with milk but recently I had tried these experiments with having turmeric and milk to make it more appealing. 

We finished whatever we could from our remaining pantry and started experimenting with tea without milk. Eventually after some days we found the formula which works for us and we are still in love with this. 

It's difficult to stay away from sweets, prasad, biscuits and chocolates but since we don't really have social gatherings we rarely have these occasions where we have to tell them specifically about our eating habits. 

My in laws have been supportive so far and kind of understand our compassion while my family tried their level best to make me eat fish or meat again. 

I tried to explain them but it felt needless to explain my food choices for the rest of my life. I kind of had this weird feeling where they might force me back to the previous lifestyle maybe in later stages of my life where they feel eating this helps us have a better health. 

For now I am getting used to this because first and foremost it helps my cough situation. I have not had direct dairy intentionally in last one month and it takes away the guilt associated with it. 

The very next day when we were getting ready to go out somewhere and a calf (yes, it's pretty common here since they like the shade and coolness of parking so they sometimes come and stay here in the parking lot) stood next to me in the door and by seeing their sweet watery eyes I felt so good that I will no longer be a cruel person who takes away their food. 

I have seen this horrible practices of keeping a stuffed calf in front of the cow to make her give milk. I was scared for some time as it looked almost ghostly in the darkness and later I learnt that it's actually dead. 

I don't understand how could I be so blind to all this happening around me and still have dairy. How come I never learnt the fact that no animal can produce milk without giving birth? Why didn't I get agitated at the fact that I actually saw someone skinning a goat and still had dinner that night. 

I have been ignorant and absolutely blind to all the signals of this cruelty going around and it took me these many years to finally come face to face with this truth that I have been part of this whole intricate trap of justifying all this in the name of taste and proteins and health. 

While the only naked truth was that we were trained in this system where we find a milk and dairy meant for a calf absolutely normal. We rather promote it in the name of good health. 
I struggle to keep my cravings at a bay but we are still going strong. 

It's been almost 3 months and we do not feel like going back yet! 
This road has been bumpy but it does have its own perks like feeling absolutely fantastic about not being part of animal cruelty, not being ignorant donkey and obviously providing more attention to what we eat! 




No comments:

Post a Comment