Sunday, December 19, 2021

The queue

Why do we make a queue for something? Only when that thing we are waiting for is worth the wait… 

We were quite unaware about the dynamics of Kakathiya deluxe mess when we followed YouTube recommendations and went along. 
At first we couldn’t really find the place but as we went through a crowded alleyway we could see the familiar sign of this mess. 
As we went towards the entrance we saw at least 50 people standing in line on staircase of the place. 
We were quite disappointed as it was past our lunch time and we were so hungry. 
Well the queue moved quickly and we were near entry door within few minutes. 
After waiting for some time at the door we were rushed inside towards a small hall full of people eating and enjoying their food. 
The plates used were made up of leaf , the sambar pots were kept on the tables along with servers serving steaming hot rice to each table. 
We waited for few more minutes until people finished their food and we could get a table for 4. 
As we sat down our table was cleaned and fresh leaf plates were kept for 4 with chilled curd bowls, sweets already served. 
I could see bigger bowls of podi chutney,tamarind thokku , eggplant thokku and pickle kept on our table. The most important side dish was a melted ghee bowl. 
As the service started we were served a heaped portion of steaming hot rice along with tomato Pappu, a dry vegetable and a root vegetable curry. 
A crunchy papad is served along with all these. 
As seen in many videos before I served myself a spoonful of podi and drizzled melted ghee on my steaming hot rice. 
As I made myself first morsel of ghee rice and podi I was blown away with the perfect balance of spicy and flavourful podi, perfect rice and wonderful fatty ghee. I knew I was in for the treat. 
As I tasted every single thing served on the plate I knew everything was prepared with utmost perfection, each dish was a burst of flavour accompaniment to the fluffy rice. 
I checked the chilled bowl of curd and observed that the curd was set in the bowl itself. It was so thick and creamy as if made of creamy milk. 
People besides us were having their lunch in hurry as they were hungry and the servers were making sure they are quick in serving an empty plate as soon as they see it. 
My husband was also having his lunch occasionally giving comments about taste and freshness of the food. 
I was almost full as I finished everything on my plate and now it was desert time. 
I took the first bite of rice cooked in thick jaggery , ghee and milk along with spices an aftertaste of camphor like smell hit. It reminded me of having a Prasad of temple. 
I still had that creamy bowl of curd which I thoroughly enjoyed with just the amazing taste of chilled heaven. 

As we were wrapping up more people were standing behind us to take our place and then we had to leave. 
I couldn’t help myself but pay my regards to the person serving us because the food was so tasty. Although he didn’t seem to be much bothered by it. 
We finished our lunch and were moved out of the small place from back door which gave us a small glimpse of spotless kitchen behind and we knew it was an experience worthy of all the effort that went into it. 

So of course the certificate of genuineness is the queue itself where we believe comrades before us to surrender to the experience. Sometimes we may be disappointed but most times we will be blown away. 

To a memorable lunch once an afternoon at Hyderabad! 
Sri Kakathiya deluxe mess!

Sri Kakatiya Deluxe Mess
098850 66252


1st Delta Chambers Shop No. 1&, 2, Mumbai Hwy, Ameerpet, Hyderabad, Telangana 500016




No comments:

Post a Comment