Saturday, June 25, 2016

On the edge, Rebel on the ice and a story of struggle



Well so I was just there chilling, exploring a new found interesting thing, podcast which my cousin introduced me to. And I came across a name as “On the edge” and as I hit play it started some thing irrelevant information at first. But then slowly as I was concentrating onto it.
I came across a mind blowing story of a Gymnast+ figure skater + a Heroin which I can't explain how much I felt proud of her.
So here’s she.
A girl named Surya Balone, and here’s a short introduction to her.



So Surya Bonaly (born December 15, 1973) is a French-American former figure skater who competed for France. She is a three-time World silver medalist (1993–1995), a five-time European champion (1991–1995), the 1991 World Junior Champion, and a nine-time French national champion (1989–1997).

Bonaly is the only figure skater to land a backflip on only one blade; she performed it at the 1998 Winter Olympics in Nagano, Japan.

Well first of all the thing you notice would be her skin color right? As I have been a fan of figure skating  and never ever lose any opportunity to watch a figure skating competition if I see it on television, I was surprised as well to see a black skater being a figure skater.
(Sorry, I cant help but its just a little unusual, well not in these days perhaps but back in  80’s and 90’s it must have been a big surprise right?)
So the podcast was about Surya Bonaly and her struggle through her skating career.
Bonaly was born in Nice, France on December 15, 1973. Initially named Claudine, she was adopted at 18 months old by Suzanne and Georges Bonaly, who gave her the name Surya. Suzanne worked as a physical education teacher and Georges as an architect for the government. The couple initially told the media that their daughter had been born on the island of Reunion, because they thought this origin sounded more "exotic".When Surya approached the age of 18 and began researching her birth history, her parents admitted that Surya's biological mother had been from the island but that Surya herself had not been born there.
(source Wikipedia)
So when she was a kid, she took interest in gymnastic and then after she switched to the figure skating. Being a black girl and her figure skating techniques being a little bit less elegant, she was sort of ignored by the people for being the competitor to win the first places. She kept her practice going on to improve on her techniques but she just kind of had enough is enough time when she was in the1990 worlds junior championship.
 Bonaly was awarded the silver medal behind Japan's Yuka Sato at the 1990 World Junior Championships in Colorado Springs, Colorado. She finished fourth at the 1990 European Championships and ninth at the 1990 World Championships.
This incidence was explicitly narrated in the podcast and I was sort of astonished by her behavior at that time.
It stated that even though Surya had given her best in that competition but being a kind of not so accepted stereotypes the gold medal was given to the Yuka sato in that competition.
Surya first didn’t came out for the award ceremony for several minutes and then when she came she was already crying. She went in the ice for her bow down and congratulated Yuka, but she didn’t stand up on the podium. Although Yuka being the gold medalist all eyes were on crying Surya.
The president did awarded Yuka her gold medal( all the time while keeping an eye on Surya as if she would then atleast stood up on podium but she didn’t)
He then went towards her, almost pulled her on the podium, and then awarded her a silver medal. But after a second or two Surya removed the medal, all the time while weeping.
I mean damn… She took it off right in front of everybody.
When asked by reporters about her behavior she stated that “maybe she isn’t lucky” enough to get in the first place, after giving all that she can.
I was having vague pictures of the scenario the whole time I was listening to this, so then after I finished it, I started a little digging up and I found the very moment video on the youtube and oh my god. I was literally speechless with the real moment of it. She was seriously disappointed, and she looked so very sad for whatever had happened with her.

There was one more incidence in the podcast as Surya being a gymnast had learnt to do a backflip in the skating while she was in the training. As Back flipping is dangerous to do in skating, its officially illegal move in the figure skating.
 So in her last year of her career , and she just was going through a post surgery period but she wanted to participate in the Olympics so even in the pain after taking all medical help she could get, and she went on the Ice.
She fell after a first few minutes but she did stood up, and then at a point when she thought she can not do anything further, she 

suddenly made up her mind and did a illegal move.

A backflip, in which she landed on one foot, which was sort of a approved move.
And when I watched what she did, I was stunned. Absolutely stunned.
I mean, oh my god. After all that she had been through in her life. She just did it all while going through immense pain, If you seen her doing that rebellious back flip you need to remember that she was in such great pain all the whole time. And She just did it.
When I was reading “To kill a mocking bird” there was one sentence in it, and  I had totally lost it on that sentence.
I couldn't help but cry at the line where Jem says to change the law which makes black people guilty, and Atticus says
“You’d be surprised how hard that’d be. I won’t live to see the law
changed, and if you live to see it you’ll be an old man." 
Well this isn’t the same, but the same thing made me cry when I saw Surya not standing on that podium. The same thing that reminded me that how much does our stereotypes matters in society.
After that I saw a clip “Rebel on Ice” and when I watched her doing the flips with such momentum, I thought as if she deserved to be there rather than the elegant princesses out there.  She isn’t a elegant and the persona fitting into certain perspectives of a figure skaters, but what she is a speed of sound and determination. She is the pain that breaks through and brings out the courage. Perhaps she wasn’t fitting into all the criteria in all those competitions according to the judges, maybe she lacked or maybe not.
But I sure did get inspired by a Rebel she started on Ice. I loved the moment when she landed perfectly, as in the words used to describe her by media as she gave a middle finger to all those who had moved her aside and didn’t let her get what she deserved.
And yes. The record still stands with her name.
“Bonaly is the only figure skater to land a backflip on only one blade, in an Olympic”
And its not just what she did was impressive, it’s the reason why she did and all the things before that.
As the podcast’s description says,
A story about loving a sport, which doesn’t love you back, and being judged in front of the world according to rules you don’t understand.
To Suya Bonaly.


If you are interested, please follow links below to find out about this amazing figure skater who would change your views about how you’d judge someone.



Surya Bonaly in ESPN “rebel on ice”:



No comments:

Post a Comment