Saturday, December 30, 2017

Blinded Me...




This was a surprise evening for me with an experience 
restaurant with theme of blindfold. 

We reached there by our timing and waited few 
minutes in queue as we saw few people coming 
out after finishing their dinner. 

As they took off their blindfolds , it was taking 
them some time to adjust to the ambiance outside. 
As their opinion was that it was an amazing experience. 

As they gave us introduction about how the idea
works they mentioned not to remove our blindfolds 
and how we can communicate if we need anything. 

When our turn came. we made a queue and started
walking inside while placing hands on their volunteers shoulders.
It was bit uncomfortable at first since I was quite
worried about my lenses. 

We started walking towards the restaurant as they
asked us to take baby steps. I could feel a pull 
from behind as some people were lagging behind. 

There was some meditating bird sound music 
playing in the background. We walked and they
guided us to sit on our respective places. 


We were given some guided meditation and then
served with the starters and beverages. 

Beverage being soda based I shook it mistakenly
and it spread around on our table, but it was
cleaned afterwards when we asked them to. 

We were given some activities to complete and 
We recognised 
those correctly as it seems when our eyes are closed 
all the rest of our sense start to work out better. We 
could even smell the disinfectant so strongly like never
before. 


We were  told to write and draw while our eyes closed. 
Never have I ever in my life tried to sketch or
write while my eyes closed, it's hell lot harder. 
It took me few minutes to actually make out the outline
of the paper while my friend gave me an idea to fold it
so we can identify it easily. 
We draw and our papers were collected 
to be given later. 

Then we were served dinner in plastic plates , 
ours was non veg preference so we were served with
fried chicken and chicken gravy with roti and rice. 
We could hear everyone munching around, well
yeah that seems even more annoying when your
senses are highlighted, but it was fine. 

I started to eat and it felt as natural as eating with
our eyes open. We finished through our course and 
then the desert was served. 
There was meditation music playing on the background. 
All the volunteers and the host especially were courteous 
and professional that not once we were confused or
surprised despite of being blindfolded. 

It wasn't anything fancy but some cakes and sweets. 

We were given some tissues to clean up and we were
led outside the same way we entered. 
While going outside I felt few curtains besides me 
and it was really nice feeling that I was able to get that. 

After we were led outside and told to remove our 
blindfolds. 
It took me few minutes to get used to the disoriented 
lenses but then it was alright after some time. 
We picked up our paper over which we draw 
our objects and then left for the
night after thanking the host. 

 When I returned I remembered something, 
When I was in college, there used to be a guy
in my route who was blind. he would travel by
public transport everyday. He would chat around 
and act as if he was normal. He would even tell which
stop is it just by keeping track of the stops went by. 
He would be right every time, as he would tell the 
right stop when people with eyesight couldn't 
see due to rush. 
I would always imagine how difficult his life must be
or that wether he only tries so hard at trying to be treated
normal. 

I think today I have received my answer. 

It's just that when we lack something, our other
senses make up for them. 
It's not something less. it's just something special
that you don't own it, but you are given something 
else to balance it out. 

I guess thats enough for me now to get used to
the fact of my own defects, that they aren't something 
less but evened out. 

 An absolutely amazing experience… 


#Blindfold #experience #restaurant 

No comments:

Post a Comment