Monday, December 11, 2017

A memorable Sunday Service- Gurudwara

It has been almost two years, since I been to some another religious place of worship.
This Sunday we received an opportunity to visit Gurudwara- a place where Sikhs come together for congregational worship.


I wasn't really expecting much of an experience here since I have never been to a Gurudwara before. As we started our journey we found out a reason to be happy about our visit there.


It was a dry afternoon yet roads in Bangalore seemed to be holding afternoon shadows making it warmer rather than parched. I could clearly see the leaf patterns the shadows made on the roads we were passing by. I could feel the afternoon breeze around us making it even more pleasant.


Another thing about Bangalore weather, they have the sweetest afternoons...


We reached and I could hear voices singing something in higher pitch, I saw a white curvy dome shaped building which stood on one side of the road.
We crossed the road while covering our heads which is actually a custom here so as to depict the respect for the Guru that resides there.


We then washed our feet in a water filled stone and washed our hands.
I entered the door which lead us inside and the first thing I noticed was the beautiful yellow light that hold the ambiance of the place. As I searched for the source of it, I saw beautiful glass bead chandeliers hanging around on the top.


As I didn't know what else to do, I just stood there crossing my fingers and listening to the prayers they were reciting. We had to bow and touch the ground three times before saying the final prayer.


We then lead to the Langar where food is served to anyone without any charge. We had already decided that we will be doing the help in kitchen. So many people were helping in making the meal, including kids, adults and the elderly.  We did help by making some Roti's. Huh! Missed the old days of cooking at home...


We then waited in line for the lunch and sat for the lunch.


We were served with a simple food of Roti, sabji, rice and dal. There was also a desert of kheer.
I have to say, whenever the food is served in any religious place, despite of all the simplicity of it, it tasted like the most fulfilling meal you could ever had.


I did bow down to the Guru Granth Sahib, listened to their prayers and tried to find that one moment I try to find when I go to such places, but it came to me when I was just about to start my meal and I looked around.
I could see random people serving the food, people opening their palms to the Roti that was served to them and at that moment I felt being  part of a feeling. A common feeling of equality. Under that specific roof no one was poor, rich, unaccepted or unwelcomed. We were all being there as one and it was all so serene at the same time. As if our individuality had been shed outside of that door, and we were being together through whatever it was.
I finished my meal, each grain of it and felt as if being happy for the satisfaction that was there.


We then collected some Prasad for our friends who could not join us and left for the day again in the brisk afternoon.


Temples give me a sense of serene presence as if being with someone elderly whos advice we seek in the moments of doubt, Churches give me peace as if being true to ones inner voice, and now Gurudwara lets us forget the Me part of myself, and its indeed one of the memorable feeling I am going to remember for a long time...


To the integrated souls, to the humble and down to earth place of worship...


To Gurudwara!




Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment